Karat Packaging, which describes itself as a specialist distributor and manufacturer of disposable and environmentally friendly catering and related items, has announced plans to purchase electric trucks.
More specifically, the company wants to expand its fleet of 86 trucks and trailers from 10 Tesla Semis. Karat Packaging provides third party logistics services (3PL) in California and this is likely where the Semi will be deployed.
The size of this order is not as high as some of the others (some are triple digits), but it proves that after several years since the presentation of the Tesla Semi (in 2017), and despite the fact that it is still probably at least a year before entering series production, the vehicle continues to attract new customers.
We assume that some of the companies have announced their intention to purchase Tesla Semi as a marketing tool as well, so the exact timing of the Tesla Semi market launch might not be that important to them.
Alan Yu, Chairman and CEO, said:
âWe are delighted to integrate alternative fuel trucks into our fleet. This purchase represents our commitment to continue investing in environmentally friendly solutions. In addition to Karat Packaging’s competitive advantage and the distinctive features of the company, we are pleased to offer additional 3PL services to new and existing customers, especially in today’s supply chain environment.
During the initial announcement, Tesla promised that the Semi would have a range of 300 or 500 miles on a single charge.
Tesla Semi Specifications:
- Range – 300 or 500 miles (483 or 804 km)
- Energy consumption – Less than 2 kWh / mile
- Acceleration 0-60 mph with 80,000 lb load – 20 sec
- Accelerate an incline of 5% – 60 mph
- Powertrain – 4 independent motors on the rear axles
- Fuel savings – $ 200,000 +
- Expected base price (300 mile range) – $ 150,000
- Expected base price (500 mile range) – $ 180,000
- Basic reservation – $ 20,000
- Expected price of the Founders series – $ 200,000
- Founders Series Reservation – $ 200,000
* Prices displayed in USD. International prices will vary.