Appleton, WIS, June 08, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – The Fire & Emergency segment of Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK), comprising Pierce Manufacturing, Oshkosh Airport Products and Frontline Communications, today announced the launch of the platform- revolutionary Volterra â¢ form of electric vehicles for the fire and emergency market.
In recent years, municipalities and airports around the world have made green initiatives a top priority, forcing fire departments to look for environmentally friendly fire apparatuses that reduce emissions, minimize fuel consumption and produce less noise.
âLeading-edge innovations, based on direct input from our customers, are the hallmarks of every brand in the Oshkosh fire and emergency segment. It’s about meeting the needs of first responders, âsaid Jim Johnson, executive vice president of Oshkosh Corporation and president of Fire & Emergency. “Our electric vehicles designed around Oshkosh’s proprietary and patented technology will deliver the environmental benefits fire departments demand, without having to compromise on peak operational performance, functionality, safety attributes, customization. and the traditional layouts and styling that customers expect from our fire. apparatus.”
Pierce Manufacturing – Volterra Electric vehicle platform
The first Pierce Volterra zero-emission pumper was commissioned by the City of Madison Fire Department, making it the first electric fire truck in service in North America. The Volterra pumper is in front-line service at Station 8, the busiest fire station in the city of Madison. The service is headed by Fire Chief Steven Davis and is made up of 14 fire stations serving an area of âânearly 100 square miles and a population of over 250,000.
âThe Town of Madison is committed to many sustainability initiatives that allow us to meet our needs without compromising those of future generations,â said Chief Davis. âPierce’s Volterra Electric Pumper allows us to remain environmentally conscious about reducing emissions while maintaining our traditional pumper configuration without affecting our operating procedures. We look forward to leading the change by responsibly supporting our environment and accomplishing our critical daily missions. “
Madison City Volterra Electric Vehicle Setup:
- Enforcer â¢ custom chassis
- Increased occupant space and visibility
- Capacity: 6
- GVWR: 42,000 lbs
- TAK-4Â® Independent front suspension
- 1500 GPM single stage pump
- 500 gallon water tank
- Compartmentalization: 150 ft3 plus storage for ladder
- Hose capacity: 1000 ‘of 5 “/ 850’ of 2.5”
- 155 kWh battery to meet the daily duty cycle of the City of Madison
Operation of the Volterra electric vehicle:
- An Oshkosh patented parallel-electric transmission with continuously variable electromechanical transmission provides emission-free operation when powered by the on-board built-in batteries and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous, uninterrupted power to the system pump or drive system
- Exceptional operating range tailored to the needs and duty cycle of the fire department for full-time operation
- A comprehensive fire station-based vehicle charging infrastructure, provided by a nationally-established energy supplier, provides a complete, simple and fast charging solution
In partnership with the City of Madison Fire Department, Pierce will continue the final on-road development, evaluation and certification process for the Pierce Volterra electric vehicle.
Oshkosh Airport Products – Volterra Electric Vehicle Platform
The attackerÂ® The performance hybrid Volterra rescue and firefighting vehicle (ARFF) is also making its debut at airports across the country. Based on Oshkosh’s proprietary technology, the new Striker Volterra is a Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) that has been developed to meet the growing emergency response and environmental needs of airports of all sizes.
Available on 4×4 and 6×6 chassis platforms, the Striker Volterra performance hybrid offers unmatched chassis performance, advanced safety systems, innovative fire suppression technology, and unmatched reliability and durability.
Vehicle configuration Striker Volterra 6×6:
- Modular cabin design
-Central steering driving position
– Industry-leading forward visibility
-Ergonomic control location
-Seating capacity: 5
- TAK-4Â® independent suspension on all wheels
- 50 ‘(15.2 m) NozzleÂ® HRET with OshkoshÂ® K-Factor â¢ Drill Tip Alignment System
- 3,170 gallon (12,000 liter) water tank
- 444 gallon (1,680 liter) foam tank
- 2000 GPM (7,570 LPM) water pump
- 550 lb (225 kg) dry chemical system
- Scania DC13 engine
- Oshkosh Power Divider
How the Striker Volterra hybrid electric vehicle works:
- An Oshkosh-patented hybrid-electric transmission featuring a continuously variable electromechanical transmission provides emission-free operation when powered by the on-board built-in batteries and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous, uninterrupted power to the system pump or drive system
- Faster Acceleration: Setting a new standard of performance, the Striker Volterra is capable of achieving 28% improved acceleration when fully loaded, resulting in faster response time.
- Reduces idling up to one hour of zero-emission standby thanks to on-board energy storage
- Zero emission driving entering and leaving the fire station thanks to on-board energy storage
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) options available for other electric vehicle driving capabilities
Custom designed and extensively tested to provide rapid response while simultaneously reducing its carbon footprint, the new Striker Volterra performance hybrid is fully NFPA 414 and ICAO compliant while being certified to comply with EPA and EU off-road regulations.
Over the next few months, the Striker Volterra performance hybrid will be showcased at airports across the United States, giving firefighters the opportunity to experience revolutionary Volterra technology.
âOshkosh has been developing electric drives and vehicles for over 25 years, which will continue to be a critical part of our fire and emergency segment’s vision for a more sustainable future,â Johnson said. âOur Volterra platform of electric vehicles reduces emissions, supports lower total cost of ownership and increases performance for first responders. We look forward to introducing the vehicles to fire departments around the world and will closely follow operator feedback and opportunities for further vehicle improvements. “
To learn more about Pierce Manufacturing or Oshkosh Airport Products, and the revolutionary Pierce Volterra electric vehicle platform, visit www.piercemfg.com or www.oshkoshairport.com. To access Pierce Volterra’s resources to download, see the press kit here.
About Pierce Fabrication
Pierce Manufacturing Inc., an Oshkosh company [NYSE: OSK] is the leading North American manufacturer of custom fire apparatus. The products include custom and commercial pumper, aerials, rescue trucks, forest trucks, mini pumps, elliptical tankers, and homeland security devices. In addition, Pierce designs its own foam systems and was the first company to introduce front airbags and the side roll protection system in fire apparatus. To learn more about Pierce, visit www.piercemfg.com.
About Oshkosh Corporation
At Oshkosh (NYSE: OSK), we make innovative, mission-critical equipment to help everyday heroes advance communities around the world. Based in Wisconsin, Oshkosh Corporation employs more than 14,000 team members worldwide, all united behind a common cause: to make a difference in people’s lives. Oshkosh products are available in over 150 countries under the JLGÂ®, PierceÂ®, OshkoshÂ® Defense, McNeilusÂ®, IMTÂ®, Jerr-DanÂ®, Frontline â¢, OshkoshÂ® Airport Products, London â¢ and Pratt Miller brands. For more information, visit oshkoshcorp.com.
Â®, â¢ All brand names mentioned in this press release are trademarks of Oshkosh Corporation or its subsidiaries.
This press release contains statements which the Company considers to be âforward-looking statementsâ within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements other than statements of historical fact, including, without limitation, statements regarding the financial future of the Company the position, business strategy, objectives, projected sales, costs, profits, capital expenditures, debt levels and cash flows, as well as management’s plans and objectives for future transactions, are forward-looking statements. When used in this press release, words such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “intend”, “estimate”, “anticipate”, “believe”, âShouldâ, âplanâ or âplanâ or the negative thereof or variations thereof or similar terminology are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and are subject to risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other factors, some of which are beyond the control of the Company, which could cause actual results to differ materially. and those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. staring statements. These factors include the overall impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Company’s business, results of operations and financial condition; the duration and severity of the COVID-19 pandemic; actions that can be taken by government and other authorities to address or mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic; the negative impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on global economies and the Company’s customers, suppliers and employees; and the cyclical nature of the Company’s access, commercial and fire and emergency equipment markets, which are particularly affected by the strength of the US and European economies and construction seasons.