Operators of sites on the north coast of Long Island, including My Father’s Place in Roslyn and Landmark on Main Street in Port Washington, gathered in Port last week with U.S. Representative Tom Suozzi (D-Glen Cove) to tout how Venue Operators Shuttered Grant The program, expanded by the recently passed US bailout, will help independent entertainment venues as theaters begin to reopen.
In addition to Suozzi, My Father’s Place owner and founder Michael “Eppy” Epstein and Landmark on Main Street, general manager Laura Mogul, owner Kevin O’Neill of the John Engeman Theater in Northport and co-owners Jim Condron and Stephen Ubertini of The Paramount in Huntington were in attendance for the event, which took place March 31 outside the Landmark.
“The effects of this pandemic have been woefully uneven, with one of the hardest hit sectors being live entertainment venues, performing arts organizations, independent cinemas and cultural institutions,” Suozzi said during of the event. “The Shuttered Venue Operators Grant, which has been expanded by the American Rescue Plan, will provide a desperately needed lifeline that will revive our local entertainment industry.”
On Long Island, according to a study by Suffolk and Nassau counties on the economic impacts of COVID-19, the hospitality industry has lost 82,000 jobs. Nationally, 90% of site owners, promoters and bookers said they risk closing without additional financial assistance and around $ 9 billion in losses if ticket sales do not resume until 2021.
The Closed Site Operators Grant is a $ 16 billion program to help closed site operators affected by the pandemic. It was established by the Economic Assistance for Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Hard-Affected Places Act, passed in December and amended with the passage of the US Rescue Plan Act. The program will be administered by the Small Business Administration’s Disaster Assistance Office.
At least $ 2 billion is earmarked for small venue operators with fewer than 50 employees. Grant amounts will vary depending on when a business first started operations, but operators will likely receive up to 45% of their gross revenue before the pandemic, or $ 10 million, whichever is less. The application process, which allows site operators to apply for loans under the program even if they have already received funds from the Paycheck Protection Program, begins Thursday. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis with no deadline, and priority will be given to companies reporting the largest losses.
“We at Landmark appreciate so much the work of Congressman Suozzi on behalf of Long Island performance venues,” Mogul said in his remarks. “Live performance venues are economic multipliers, community anchors and critical threads in the cultural fabric of New York State. Without the performing arts ecosystem, the bars, restaurants, hotels, retail stores, parking lots and other businesses that depend on our venues to attract audiences will continue to struggle to survive. “
Business owners can visit https://www.svograntportal.sba.gov/s/ for more information and to view the application documents.